Publishing and sharing content has become very easy in today’s digital age. Most people can create a personal blog within minutes, most any content they wish to have out there and share it on the social media. Some of the most popular blogging platforms include Blogger and WordPress.
Despite the ease and convenience with which blogs and websites can be set up these days, it is important to ensure your online presence is safe and secure. Since teenagers spend a great deal of time on the social media – be it blogging, tweeting or sharing, it is important to ensure you retain your privacy even while publishing your content.
Some tips that teens should keep in mind when blogging include:
- Avoid any postings that reveal your specific location. This means that you should not mention the name of your town, your school, your sports teams or even your last name as this information could enable anyone to trace your address.
- Some blogs offer privacy settings that enable you to control who can visit your blog. If this is available on the blog service you use, always make sure you allow people you know and trust. Don’t add strangers to this list and always be careful about the information you share publicly.
- Do not arrange to meet people unless and you until you know their actually identity. If you absolutely have to meet someone, make sure it is in public place and you do not go alone.
- Avoid photos that can make people recognize you. Avoid posting photos that are sexual or suggestive in nature. Always ask yourself before uploading a picture how your parents, college counselors, potential employers, friends, spouse or grandparents would feel when they see it.
- Do not post things that will end up embarrassing you. Once material is online, it can easily go viral, copy/pasted and shared and reshared. You will never be able to forget it if you make a blunder.
- Do not allow strangers and non-friends to post comments on your blog. Keep a regular check on any comments that are posted on your blog and delete any that you deem inappropriate. Never respond to inappropriate or nasty message. Just delete them and block the person who posted them.
- Do not lie about your age when starting a blog. Blogs have age-limitations and they are there for good reasons that would protect your online status and content.