Travel Fraud Crimes Explained by a NYC Criminal Attorney
Travel fraud involves misleading consumers in relation to trips or offers of vacations. There are many different kinds of wrongful acts that are broadly classified as travel fraud. When a fraud is committed, this can result in charges brought by New York State prosecutors or it can result in federal fraud charges depending upon the circumstances.
When you are accused of travel fraud, you need to be aware of the potential for serious penalties if you are convicted of an offense. All co-conspirators can be tried for all attempted and successful fraud crimes, and defendants can be indicted on multiple counts of fraud. Getting appropriate legal help is essential to try to avoid being found guilty of a criminal act. Bukh Law Firm, PLLC provides legal representation to defendants accused of all types of fraud crimes, including those related to travel fraud. Give us a call to speak with a NY criminal attorney so we can help you to defend against charges and fight conviction.
Travel Fraud Crimes
Travel fraud crimes involve any situation in which material misleading statements are made in connection with a vacation or trip. While fraud may be perpetrated on those who are planning a vacation, it can also involve scammers who target insurers as well. Common examples of travel fraud crimes include:
- Travel insurance fraud: Travel insurance fraud occurs when a travel insurance policy is purchased and claims are made on the policy for losses that did not actually occur. Travel insurance can cover lost luggage, cancelled trips, illnesses, and other losses caused by problems before and during a vacation. Claiming items were lost that weren’t, submitting medical bills for cosmetic surgery and claiming emergency surgery, and false claims of kidnapping are examples of travel insurance fraud scams. Travel insurance fraud is a type of insurance fraud that can result in state or federal charges.
- Travel expense fraud: Travel expense fraud occurs when individuals defraud their companies by submitting false and inflated claims of travel expenses. This is a type of embezzlement or corporate theft.
- Bogus travel agents: Travel agency fraud involve posing as a travel agency, taking people’s money to book trips, and never actually booking anything.
- Timeshare fraud: Timeshare fraud includes timeshare rental scams, where consumers are told they are renting a time share and their money is taken when no time share exists. Selling or renting a time share to someone under any type of false pretense can be considered timeshare fraud.
- Vacation rental scams: An ad for a vacation rental is posted. Would-be renters pay money but they do not actually get the promised vacation.
In these and other types of fraud scams, all parties involved in perpetrating the fraud- from those who market to consumers to those who accept payments- can be charged with various criminal offenses. General fraud charges, wire fraud charges, and mail fraud charges are all possible when allegations of travel fraud arise. When defendants face federal charges for these offenses, the penalties for each count of mail or wire fraud could involve up to 30 years imprisonment, depending upon the circumstances and whether a financial institution was defrauded.
Getting Help from a NYC Fraud Lawyer
If you have been accused of travel insurance fraud, travel expense fraud, or any other type of travel fraud crime, you need to ensure you are smart about responding to the accusations. You can plead guilty to try to reduce the charges and get a lesser penalty, you can try to arrange an immunity deal, you can fight to get charges dropped, or you can raise strategic defenses or introduce doubt when pleading not guilty.
Deciding on the best course of action and preparing a vigorous defense is a complicated process. Bukh Law Firm, PLLC understands the state and federal laws applicable to travel fraud cases and our legal defense team can help you to raise a strong defense. Call now to speak with a NYC fraud lawyer to learn more.